Review of Arvilla Fee's The Stars Above Us by Rachel Turney
Review of The Stars Above Us by Arvilla Fee
Publisher: Kelsay Books
-Rachel Turney
Arvilla Fee Rachel Turney
Arvilla Fee scintillates in The Stars Above Us. This meaningful and personal collection of poems takes us across six different starscapes of the artist's story. Her work leaves behind neutron stars that shine light on the condition of being human. In this review, I will highlight a few of the sections and also add some nerdy astronomical references as a nod to the section titles and to delight and entertain possible star nerd readers. (This should be a high percentage as poets love the night sky.)
Part One: Weeping Stars
In the opening section, Weeping Stars, Fee does not apologize for the realities of loss, estrangement, illness, and death. I found the repetition used in “The Albatross” really interesting as a commentary on the push and pull, or gravity if you will, of the mother daughter relationship and regret. I also found unsettling reality in the details used in "In the Eye of the Storm,” which is a tragic and alarming poem about surviving domestic violence.
If this section were a constellation, it would be Orion, representing the fighter, warrior, and one who overcomes.
Part Two: Traveling Stars
Two of my favorite pieces in the next section, Traveling Stars, are "A Bicyclist in Amsterdam" and "The Café Terrace at Night.” In these poems, Fee captures moments that made me think in a holistic way about travel and observation. This portion of the book moves between the relatable and the view through Arvilla’s eyes that only she could have in such a balance that I felt myself as one in the experience while also uncomfortably watching. I loved that about reading this book - the way I felt I understood but also had a seat watching Fee at the same time. It made me connect but also disturbed me in the best way while reading.
This section is the Sagittarius constellation. As an astrological sign they are known as adventurous lovers of travel.
Part Three: Reminiscing Stars
In the Reminiscing Stars section Fee's voice is grounded in lineage. Several poems in this section revolve around artifacts. "A Division of Goods" tells of relatives picking through a dead grandmother's possessions. It’s a mournful meditation on what love actually is… and what poet hasn’t wondered what love truly looks like and means?!
My own grandparents used to point out the big dipper to me as a child. This part of the book is then represented by Ursa Major, to me at least.
Part Six: Laughing Stars
Laughing Stars is funny! I was twinkling with laughter. But more seriously, I like this section because it expresses the dynamism of the author and every woman in her own resiliency. Reading this section was like watching a really good play. "How to Eat an Over-Easy Egg in Front of Your Ex" is one of the most delicious comic poems I have ever encountered. I could taste the fatty butter, crunchy salt, and runny yolk.
This section I dub the Egg Nebula which is a protoplanetary nebula in the Cygnus constellation. Astronomers consider this to be a final stage of stellar evolution. I think being able to laugh at and move through all that Fee has lived may be the last stage of her evolution. Perhaps that is exactly what this book represents.
Arvilla Fee’s collection, The Stars Above Us is an effortless book by someone who understands poetry and can genuinely express what life has taught her and clearly voice those experiences. Much like the stars above us, Fee’s work serves as a radiating time capsule of the human experience. As a writer, that ability is one I envy! Her closing lines are also dynamite, another thing I so covet.
With Fee’s permission I have included in this review one of the shining stars of this collection. (Unfortunately, though there are nine recognized constellations named after birds, the albatross is not one of them.)
The Albatross
I carried a child in my womb,
bleached sun upon my head.
I thought her heavy at the time,
but I had not yet seen her grown.
Bleached sun upon my head,
pain cutting deep and low,
but I had not yet seen her grown,
the adult around my neck.
Pain cutting deep and low,
her words a scarlet red,
the adult around my neck,
my anchored albatross.
Her words a scarlet red;
she turned and slammed the door.
My anchored albatross,
too heavy for my grief.
She turned and slammed the door,
her words a scarlet red;
too heavy for my grief,
my anchored albatross.
Bios:
Arvilla Fee lives in Dayton, Ohio, teaches English for Clark State College and is the lead poetry editor for October Hill Magazine. She has published poetry, photography, and short stories in numerous presses, including North of Oxford, Tipton Poetry Journal, The Orchards Poetry Journal, Rat’s Ass Review, Mudlark, and many others. Her poetry books, The Human Side, This is Life, and Mosaic: A Million Little Pieces are available on Amazon. The Stars Above Us (Kelsay Books) comes out May 2026. Arvilla loves writing, photography and traveling and never leaves home without a snack and water (just in case of an apocalypse). To learn more, visit her website and check out her new poetry magazine: https://soulpoetry7.com/
Rachel Turney, Ed.D. (she/her) is the Writer in Residence (2026) at NKollectiv in Englewood, Colorado. Her poems, research articles, reviews, and drawings can be found in a variety of publications. Rachel is passionate about immigrant rights, teacher support, and empowering other artists. She is a Writers’ Hour prize winner and Best of the Net nominee. Her photography appears on a few magazine covers. Rachel is the founder of the popular online reading series Poetry (in Brief). She is on staff at Bare Back Magazine with her monthly column Friday Night in the Suburbs. She reads for The Los Angeles Review. Her poetry book, Retired Wannabe Club Kid, is out now with Parlyaree Press. Website: turneytalks.com Instagram: @turneytalks Bluesky: rachelturney

Comments
Post a Comment